Knit Pasta

Saturday, April 22, 2006

First Post - More of an update

I've been meaning to get a knitting blog for forever. What better way to document all the mistakes I often make in my knitting!

I've only been knitting since August of 2005, but I am horribly addicted. Most of my bank account goes out to knitting supplies and I have been known to stay up all night just to finish an object I got started on.

Anyways, here is what I have going right now. I am awful in that I have way to many things going on at the same time all the time. None of these pictures are great because it is horribly rainy and dreary outside today, so I had to rely on terrible indoors lighting.

I've been working on these socks for the bf for it seems like forever. It is my first time knitting socks and I am using the very helpful Basic Ribbed Socks Guide to knit them. As it is my first time, the sock looks awfully lumpy, but I am hoping the second one will look much better. I am using Frog Tree alpaca yarn that is so wonderfully soft, but sadly I bought the yarn and started knitting before I thought about the washing needs of alpaca yarn and the will of boyfriends to handwash socks. He is excited about them nevertheless and promises to handwash them with love.

This hat is maybe one of my biggest knitting embarassments. I bought this yarn at the Sedalia Fiber Festival a few weeks ago and the bright colors begged for me to turn it into a Fair Isle earflap hat. I quickly turned to Knitty for the pattern and found that the Vinter Lue was perfect. Problem was, as a new knitter I only had size 7 dpns and circular needles (also I strongly suspect I was on a brain fart when I bought the circulars and purchased size 6 needles) I had used for some hats for Christmas and the pattern required size 8. I knitted a guage swatch using my dpns as straight needles (though I had heard over and over to knit guage swatches in the round for in the round projects) out of laziness and it matched fine. So I began knitting the hat and stayed up late last night to finish it and when I was almost done, I put it on my head to test the size. It was horribly small and far too tight to even block or stretch to the right size!! So you may view my project near the end of completion right before I must miserably frog it. I think I will keep the earflaps as is as they seem like a satisfactory size, but all my hard fair-isle work will be ruined. It was my first time trying fair-isle too, and I was afraid of it being far too hard, but it was so easy! And so addicting! If you have not knitted in fair-isle yet, do so now!!

Anyways, so I went out today to the knitting and embroidery store near my house, Backstitches, to get some proper sized needles and this woman there talked me into buying this interchangable needles set. I am pretty excited about it! I am used to knitting in aluminum and these are plastic, but at least the needles will not slide off on me so much now. They can even double as straight needles, so except for dpns I really don't need to buy needles again! I sure hope they work well, she assured me they knit fabulously.

Also, I have forever been horribly addicted to the spinning board on Craftster.org and after much shameless lurking and drooling over fabulous yarns, I made my own drop spindle using just a dowel rod, some cds, some poly tubing, and a rubber thing I found in the dad's workshop using this great tutorial. I ordered a pound of cheap mill end wool roving and I can't wait for it to come in so I can start spinning! I mostly want to be able to use fabulous luxury fibers that I can't afford already in yarn form.

Anyways, my poor hat is waiting to be frogged so I must roll it back into balls and test my interchangable needles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home